Our Story

Our Story
We witness a miracle every time a child enters into life. But those who make their journey home across time and miles, growing within the hearts of those who wait to love them, are carried on the wings of destiny and placed among us by God's very own hands.
~ Kristi Larson ~

Not flesh of my flesh, Nor bone of my bone, But still miraculously my own. Never forget for a single minute, You didn't grow under my heart - but in it!
~ Fleur Conkling Heylinger ~
Adoption is not the call to have the perfect, rosy family. It is the CALL to Give LOVE, MERCY, and PATIENCE.



Thursday, November 28, 2013

Precious Memories

I have been thinking a lot lately about this time of year - the leaves falling and the weather getting colder.  I have been reflecting on how different our lives looked this time last year - just barely having brought our boys home.  There were lots of precious times - and lots of hard times!  Looking back it is hard to believe how far we have come - with growing, and grieving, and becoming family!!  I am in awe how God orchestrated it all!

 I think my most favorite thing about this time of year - for this year - are the memories that the boys have!  I hear them say "Remember last year...." and "Oh yeah - I remember...." and "When we do that this year...."  I LOVE that they have a memory to draw from with holidays coming up and all the hustle and bustle that it brings.  To those outside of the adoption community - holidays are a nightmare for transitioning kiddos.  They truly do need structure and routine and calm and people and things around them that they are comfortable with and used to!  You take the holidays - on the go, out of routine, over-stimulating, with people and things around them that they are not used to.  They stress easily over things that they are unsure of....the holidays are a big mystery to kiddos from a different culture.  We had lots of meltdowns, shutdowns, tears, and stress over the holidays last year!

This year - the kids are looking forward to what is to come with hopeful anticipation!  They have a reference point in their memory of what to expect - sweet precious memories that help them feel connected.  We still deal with issues of the hustle and bustle and the over-stimulating behaviors that can come.....but OH MY - - we are SO much better off this year!

I LOVE my 'not so little family' and all that God has and is doing in and through us!  I am so proud of my children and the young people they are growing into!  I am excited to share this holiday season with kids excited about life, thankful for what they have, and grateful for the baby in the manger!  Can't wait for more PRECIOUS MEMORIES to be made this year!





No comments:

Post a Comment